CHAMPURRADO BY RICK BAYLESS
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup (4.5 ounces) freshly ground masa, or a scant 1/2 cup masa harina mixed with a generous 1/4 cup hot tap water
- Generous 1/3 cup (1/2 ounce) cacao nibs, or a 2.7 ounce tablet of Taza Mexican chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon canela, or cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (4 ounces) piloncillo, chopped or a generous 1/2 cup (3 ounces) if using Mexican chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanila extract
- Combine the water, masa, cacao nibs, pecans, canela and piloncillo in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour into a saucepan.
- Add the milk and bring up to a boil, whisking constantly. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking frequently, until the piloncillo is completely dissolved and the texture is somewhat akin to that of a cream soup, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Strain, if you wish, then serve in cups or mugs.
Recipe by Regan Baroni at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/press/champurrado-with-rick-bayless/