- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 7-8 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the asparagus in salted boiling water until tender, 1-2 minutes.
- Set aside in an ice bath to stop the cooking and maintain the green color.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, bring the chicken stock to a gentle simmer and maintain over low heat.
- In a large, heavy pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir until each grain is well coated with oil and translucent with a white dot in the center, about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir until completely absorbed.
- Add the simmering stock one ladleful at a time, stirring frequently after each addition.
- Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed (but rice isn’t dry on top) before adding the next ladleful.
- Remove 1/4 cup of stock to add at the end.
- When the rice is almost tender to the bite but slightly firm in the center, add the asparagus and a ladleful of stock.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the asparagus is heated through and the rice is al dente.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, cheese and reserved 1/4 cup of stock.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe by REGAN BARONI at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/asparagus-risotto-recipe/