BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH AMARANTH
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, pealed and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Amaranth microgreens for garnish and beet flavor
- Heat oil in a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add carrot, celery and onion.
- Cook until vegetables have begun to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash, thyme, chicken broth and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 30-minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth, returning to the pot once blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with Amaranth and drizzle with olive oil. Amaranth is a microgreen that is very pink in color. The flavors are earthy and smooth, similar to beets.
I got my microgreens from American Pride MicroFarm.
Recipe by REGAN BARONI at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/butternut-squash-soup-amaranth-recipe/