If you’re a seafood lover, you’ll want to dive right into this recipe. Instead of going the traditional route, I made a dairy-free Clam Chowder with Crab and Shrimp for a seafood extravaganza of deliciousness.
Why Dairy Free?
Heavy cream in soups doesn’t always play well with my stomach, so I’ve been on a mission to create a variety of favorite soups that are dairy-free. I typically will use almond milk or coconut milk in place of heavy cream and the recipe tastes just as delicious and creamy in texture. If dairy isn’t an issue for you, by all means use heavy cream instead.
Why Extra Shell Fish?
Why NOT extra shell fish? Clams are wonderful, but the addition of crab and shrimp make the soup even more hearty. I love it when each bite is a little bit different depending on the shell fish you scooped up.
CLAM CHOWDER WITH CRAB AND SHRIMP
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat free milk or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons milk
- Salt and red pepper flakes
- 1/4 pound shrimp
- 1/4 pound little neck clams
- 1/4 pound lump crab meat
- 2 cobs of corn, corn cut off the cob
- 4-5 slices of bacon, cut into thin strips cross-wise
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Over medium heat, in a nonstick skillet, sauté bacon until crispy, about 6 minutes.
- Remove bacon from pan and let cool on a plate with a paper towel.
- Sauté onions and carrots in a separate stock pot for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, corn, clam juice, water and milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add your clams and simmer for 5 minutes or until they open.
- Remove clams from their shells, discarding any that did not open. I kept some clams in their shells for presentation purposes.
- Add the shrimp and crab and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the clam meat back into the stock pot with the shrimp and crab.
- Ladle chowder into bowls and garnish with parsley, bacon and clams in the shell.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.