CRANBERRY STUFFED GAME HENS
For the stuffing:
- 2 cups bread cubes cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 2 cornish game hens
For the sauce:
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the stuffing:
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Spread bread cubes amongst a baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven until golden brown, 20-40 minutes and transfer to a bowl.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and scallions to the skillet, mix with the butter and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the dried cranberries to the shallots. Stir until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth into the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Pour mixture over the bread cubes and stir until the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with chopped thyme, minced rosemary, sage, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Mix the beaten egg into the bread mixture. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit while the liquid absorbs, about 15 minutes.
For the hens and sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drizzle the bottom of a roasting pan with olive oil and sprigs of fresh thyme and fresh rosemary.
- Season the cavities of the hens with a generous amount of salt.
- Stuff each hen with about half of the bread-cranberry mixture.
- Tie the legs together and carefully set each in the roasting pan on top of the thyme and rosemary.
- Brush hens with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Bake the hens in the oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices are clear, about 1 hour. An instant read thermometer should read 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Remove hens from the roasting pan and lightly cover with foil on a plate. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place the roasting pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in chicken broth, fresh cranberries and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil and scrape up the brown bits of food from the pan.
- Cook and stir until the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the hens and serve.
Recipe by Regan Baroni at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/cranberry-stuffed-game-hens-recipe/