As summer inches closer, I have been playing around with chilled soup recipes. My mom is a big lover of soups and I get a lot of inspiration from her. Soups are typically served hot and during fall and winter months. However, I’m discovering that it can also be served chilled and pretty perfect for spring and summer. When I found this Cucumber and Mint Soup inspired by Martha Stewart, I was very curious to try it.
I love cucumbers, but I’ve never even considered making a soup with them. And, I know what you’re thinking… a cucumber soup probably sounds like a lot of cucumber in one bowl. I thought the same thing. But, the flavors are fresh and balanced and play well with the hints of lemon, mint and garlic. I even kept it dairy-free and used So Delicious in place of regular yogurt.
And, would you look at that gorgeous color? What a bright and fresh looking green! I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know what you think!
CUCUMBER AND MINT SOUP
- 4 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup plain yogurt, low fat if desired
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dice one of the cucumbers, and set aside for garnish. Cut the others into large chunks.
- Combine cucumber chunks, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and water in a Vitamix or blender and puree until smooth.
- Add scallions and mint leaves, reserving some of the mint for garnish, and puree briefly. Season with salt and pepper, and add more lemon juice if a more tart flavor is desired.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Stir well before serving, and ladle into bowls
- Garnish each serving with diced cucumber, mint leaves or lemon rind.
I used So Delicious Dairy Free yogurt.
All images ©Regan Baroni 2017.