GRILLED OYSTERS WITH BACON CAYENNE BUTTER
- 3 slices hickory-smoked or applewood-smoked bacon
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2-1/2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 24 fresh oysters (such as Malpeque or Bluepoint)
- Cook bacon on baking sheet with wire rack in oven at 400 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
- Let cool and crumble the bacon into a Vitamix or food processor.
- Add butter, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- Blend until smooth, occasionally scraping down sides, if needed.
- With machine running, gradually add white wine, then fresh lemon juice and continue to process until blended.
- Drop butter onto saran wrap and shape into 2-inch-diameter log.
- Wrap to enclose; chill butter until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Heat the grill to high and place oysters, flat side up on grill.
- Cover and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
- The oysters should now be slightly open. Quickly remove the oysters, careful not to spill any of their liquor.
- Hold an oyster with an oven mitt and use a shucking knife to pry open the oyster. It should easily open.
- Spoon 1/8- to 1/4-inch-thick rounds of cayenne-butter onto each oyster and return to the grill.
- Cover and grill 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve with lemon wedges.
1. Larger sized oysters are better for grilling because they will shrink as they cook on the grill.
2. You can freeze the leftover butter to use later. It's also great on chicken and fish.
Recipe by REGAN BARONI at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/grilled-oysters-recipe/