I love scallops, but I really need to be in the mood for them. They are so incredibly rich on their own, and they always seem to be drenched in butter or paired with a tasty risotto. Nothing wrong with any of that, but these Grilled Scallops with Lemon Salsa Verde by Bon Appétit is a refreshing change.
Mike and I have been on a seafood kick lately and are constantly gathered around the grill, so I was really excited to give this recipe a try. The combination of the olive oil, chives and parsley work perfectly together while the cilantro and lemon brighten up the flavors. Add salt and pepper slowly to your liking.
GRILLED SCALLOPS WITH LEMON SALSA VERDE
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
- 10-12 large sea scallops, side muscle removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon (with peel), seeded, chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Fresh lemon juice
- Heat grill to medium-high heat; oil grate.
- Combine lemon, shallot and garlic in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Let sit for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in oil, parsley, cilantro and chives.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Add lemon juice if desired.
- Toss scallops with 2 tablespoons of oil on a baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a fish spatula or your hands, place scallops on grill, flat side down.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve scallops topped with Lemony Salsa Verde.
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.