LEMON RICOTTA PANCAKES WITH CARAMELIZED BLUEBERRIES
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add blueberries, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour and baking powder with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk with the egg yolks, ricotta and the remaining 3/4 tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to create the batter.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter.
- Preheat a pan and grease with butter.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan.
- Cook over moderately high heat until bubbles appear around the edges, 1-2 minutes.
- Flip and cook until the pancakes are golden brown and transfer to plates.
- Drizzle with caramelized blueberries and maple syrup.
Recipe by REGAN BARONI at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/lemon-ricotta-pancakes-recipe/