Pasta with Mushrooms & Prosciutto
This Pasta with Mushrooms & Prosciutto inspired by Bon Appétit is a delicious and cozy fall comfort food.
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (about 6 slices)
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms (such as Chanterelles, Maitake, Oyster, Cremini or Shiitake), torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces pappardelle or fettuccine
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium.
- Arrange prosciutto in a single layer in pot and cook, turning once or twice, until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in same pot over high.
- Cook mushrooms, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, 5–8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shallots and 1 tsp. thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until shallots are translucent and softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add stock and reduce heat to low.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until only a thin layer of stock coats bottom of pot, 5−7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 3 minutes less than package directions.
- Using tongs, transfer pasta to pot with mushrooms and add 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Crumble half of prosciutto into pot.
- Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer, and cook, tossing constantly, until pasta is al dente and liquid is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Add cream, return to a simmer, and cook, tossing, until pasta is coated, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add butter, and toss to combine.
- Add salt to taste and enjoy!
Recipe by Regan Baroni at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/pasta-with-mushrooms-and-prosciutto-recipe/