ROASTED BEET AND LEEK RISOTTO
- 3 medium beets (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium leek, cleaned, halved and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 375° F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Rinse the beets and trim off any leafy tops. Wrap completely in aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Roast until tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel using a paring knife or by pushing the skin with your fingers. Dice the beets into 1/2” to 1” pieces and set aside in a bowl.
- Bring broth to a low simmer on the stove top.
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add leek with a dash of salt, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add rice; stir to coat.
- Add wine; cook, stirring often to coat the rice, until almost completely absorbed, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced beets and stir until incorporated into the rice.
- Add 1/2 cup simmering broth and stir until almost all is absorbed.
- Add remaining 3-4 cups broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more, about 25-30 minutes total.
- When the rice is tender but still firm, turn off the heat and immediately add 1 tablespoon butter, goat cheese and parsley, stirring vigorously to combine with the rice.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper if needed. Serve immediately.
Recipe by REGAN BARONI at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/roasted-beet-risotto-recipe/