How’s your summer going? We’ve been harvesting a lot of goodies from our garden recently. This year we planted tomatillos for the first time and we’re finally able to cook with them, starting with Mike’s famous Roasted Tomatillo Salsa.
Gardens always remind me that there’s a process behind most things. If you think about it, nothing is where it is today without patience and hard work. Sometimes when we think we want something and then realize how much work is actually involved with achieving it, it can be easy to give up or not finish what we started. I used to have this mentality with gardens. Loved the idea, didn’t love the work involved. But, I’ll never forget the first time I needed a pepper for a recipe and how cool it was to walk out into the backyard to get it. It suddenly felt worth it.
This salsa recipe gave me another excuse to use our Vitamix which has made kitchen life a lot easier. I love making soups, salsas and sauces with it. Everything gets mixed to your desired texture in record time. So good! So fast!
What is your favorite salsa recipe?
ROASTED TOMATILLO SALSA
- 1 lb. tomatillos, de-husked, washed and halved
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 5-6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 jalapeño
- A handful of cilantro
- 1 lime 1 teaspoon of sugar (plus more to taste, if desired)
- A pinch of salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and lay out the tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno and onions on it.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are soft and partially blackened.
- Remove the baking sheet and let veggies cool down for 10 minutes.
- Remove seeds from jalapeño.
- Place everything into a Vitamix.
- Add a handful of cilantro, a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of sugar and a little bit of lime juice.
- Blend until it’s all combined and adjust spice and sweetness as desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All Images © Regan Baroni 2016.
Disclosure: This post was in collaboration with Vitamix. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that keep me cooking and shooting!