SIMPLE BASIL PESTO
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (I used purple and green basil leaves)
- 1/3-1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Combine the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a Vitamix or food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Slowly add half of the olive oil while pulsing the pesto.
If using Pesto immediately:
- Add the rest of the olive oil and transfer pesto to a bowl.
- Mix in the cheese and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a light squeeze of fresh lemon juice for brightness.
If freezing the Pesto:
- Transfer to an air tight container and drizzle oil over the top.
- Freeze for 1-2 months.
- Thaw and stir in the cheese, salt and pepper and a light squeeze of lemon juice.
Do not use the basil flowers when making pesto. Either discard them or use them in making tea.
Recipe by REGAN BARONI at https://reganbaroni.com/blog/recipes/simple-basil-pesto-recipe/