Don’t you think a poached egg seems fancier than the other styles? I recently threw this Smoked Salmon With A Poached Egg recipe together and it’s perfect for brunch or a “fancy” breakfast in your PJ’s. You’ll fool your friends into thinking you slaved away in the kitchen and they’ll probably pour you an extra mimosa for all your hard work.
How To Poach An Egg
1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add one tablespoon of vinegar. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down a bit so the water comes down to a good simmer.
2. Crack an egg into a small bowl, being careful not to break the yolk.
3. Gently drop the egg into the water and watch the magic happen. Use a slotted spoon to remove the egg when it’s ready.
1. If you like a runny egg, simmer it for about 3 minutes.
2. For a less runny egg, simmer it for about 4 minutes.
These tips on the timing have gone a long way in helping me make the perfect poached egg. Practice makes delicious, right?
SMOKED SALMON WITH A POACHED EGG
- 8-12 ounces smoked salmon, thinly sliced from your fish market
- Eggs (1 per person)
- Half red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Baby spinach leaves and frisée mix (or other lettuce of your choice), roughly torn
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Lemon slices or wedges, if desired
- Optional: Penzey’s Sunny Paris Seasoning
- Bring pot of water to a boil and then bring down to a simmer.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Crack one egg at a time into a small bowl and carefully drop egg into the pot.
- Let egg poach for 3 minutes for runny or 4-5 minutes for less runny.
- Remove egg with a slotted spoon and gently place on a plate to cool slightly.
- Add spinach, frisée mix and sliced onion to a bowl and lightly drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste to be sure flavors are balanced.
- Arrange spinach and frisée mix on a plate and top with smoked salmon and poached egg with lemon slices.
- Optional: Sprinkle with Penzey’s Sunny Paris Seasoning.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All Images © Regan Baroni 2016.