While I was out getting groceries, I saw the most beautiful white nectarines at the market. The swirls of red, pink and white looked like each one had been hand-painted. Even though I didn’t need to get nectarines, I bought a bunch of them anyway. And, luckily, they just happened to inspire a tasty Strawberry Nectarine Galette. Grab this delicious recipe and a couple food photography tips from my photo shoot!
This post contains affiliate links. Read the affiliate disclosure.
Food Photography Tips For Strawberry Nectarine Galette
USE THE CAMERA YOU HAVE
A lot of people think that you need a fancy DSLR to take beautiful pictures of food. While there is a time and a place for special equipment, the truth is the best camera is the one you have with you. It’s really not about what camera you use at all. It’s knowing how to use the camera you have. For many people that camera is on their smartphone. And, believe it or not, you can take stunning food images with it. I have a blog post sharing iPhone Photography Tips that you might find helpful. Be sure to check it out.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO GET A LITTLE MESSY
A lot of professional food photography shoots tend to want to make the food look perfect. I don’t agree with this. While it’s important that the food look appetizing, I like the crumbs, drips and gooey-ness (is that a word?) that can happen on set. It’s a natural and very real element to working with food and I think it can be a really pretty part of the story. Let the crumbs scatter. Pull the galette apart and let the inside spill onto the surface. It’s amazing how beautiful the imperfections can be.
Read More About: Light & Airy Food Photography Tips
Recipe Notes for Strawberry Nectarine Galette
What Is A Galette?
“Galette” is a french term that describes a flat round cake. They’re like a more rustic version of pie. They sound fancy, but they’re really not. The imperfections of the folded crust are a true highlight. It’s much less pressure than trying to make the perfect pie crust.
One of my favorite cookbooks is Posh Tarts that shares a variety of tasty tart and galette recipes. Be sure to check it out!
Read More About: Raspberry Jam & Lime Mini Tarts
Strawberry Nectarine Galette
- Two pie crusts, rolled out
- 1 pint of strawberries, thinly sliced
- 5-6 nectarines, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place rolled out pie crust dough on parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the strawberries, nectarines, sugar, cinnamon and thyme and gently mix together.
- Add the fruit mixture on top of the pie crust, leaving 1.5 inches around the outside of the dough for folding.
- Fold the edges up around the fruit mixture, leaving the middle exposed.
- Add dabs of butter on top of the fruit mixture.
- Brush the tops of the folded crust with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is a nice golden brown.
- Be sure to let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click or make a purchase through my site, I might make a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only promote products that I actually use and support.
All images ©Regan Baroni 2017.