Last year when I was on a shoot with Rick Bayless and Lucky Peach Magazine, they gave me Watermelon Water to keep me hydrated during the shoot. It was delicious! I get a little bored with plain water, so I decided to make my own recipe at home and share it with you on the blog.
Obviously, watermelon is your main ingredient with this recipe. Look at that pretty pink color! I discovered that several recipes online call for a lot of sugar. If you’re looking for a healthy alternative to water, I don’t think adding sugar is the right approach. My recipe uses the addition of freshly squeezed lime juice and a little mint for garnish. It helps boost up the flavor without adding a ton of sugar.
Mocktail or Cocktail
I enjoy this drink without alcohol, because it’s so refreshing and hydrating. But, you could definitely add a splash of vodka if you wanted to turn it into a refreshing summer cocktail instead.
Let me know what you think!
- 3 cups, diced seedless watermelon
- 4 cups cold water
- 2 limes juiced (start with 1 and add more to taste)
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Optional: 1/4 cup sugar, if desired
- Place all ingredients, except lime wedges and mint, in a blender and blend until smooth. After blending, pour the watermelon water into a large bowl and use an immersion blender to get it extra smooth. Then, add it all into a pitcher with ice.
- Pour the watermelon water into glasses and garnish with lime wedges or mint leaves.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.