I’ve been on the prowl for recipes that are easy to make during our busy work nights. When I came across this recipe for Linguine and Clams with Herbs by Bon Appétit, I realized that I had never cooked with clams before and that had to change immediately.
Cooking with Clams
Cooking with clams is no different than cooking with mussels. Cover them in the sauce until they open and discard any that don’t open. It takes about 5 minutes.
The sauce in this recipe is one of our go-to’s and includes the basics: olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and white wine. It’s incredibly versatile to use with different types of pasta recipes.
Almond Herb Mix Garnish
My favorite part about this recipe is the almond-herb mix that gets added as a garnish. It brings a slightly nutty flavor to the sweetness of the clams and the spiciness of the sauce.
This dish is super delicious, really comforting and comes together so easily when you don’t feel like cooking. Bon Appétit knows what they’re doing.
LINGUINE AND CLAMS WITH HERBS
- 1/2 cup unsalted, almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 table spoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon and 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
- 3/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1-2 pounds little neck clams
- 12 oz. linguine
- Mix almonds, chives, parsley, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1⁄4 cup oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring occasionally, until garlic is softened, about 2 minutes. Note: Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add wine, bring to a boil, and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add clams and increase heat to medium-high; cover pot.
- Cook, shaking pot occasionally, until clams have opened, 5–8 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Add pasta and 1⁄2 cup pasta cooking liquid to clams and toss to coat.
- Cook, tossing and adding more cooking liquid as needed, until sauce coats pasta, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve linguine and clams topped with reserved almond-herb mixture.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2015.