It’s been an exciting few days since I learned that I’m a Photography Finalist with Saveur. Someone pinch me! In an attempt to stay somewhat focused and productive with my shoots, I decided to share a super simple Cilantro Basil Pesto recipe. These herbs are two of my favorites and they happen to be overflowing in our garden right now.
This pesto recipe comes together so quickly and if you’re not a fan of cilantro, just use extra basil. I used my Vitamix again, which has become a regular go-to in my kitchen these days. Once the pesto was ready, I decided to serve it on grilled flatbread topped with roasted tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
Roast Your Tomatoes First
One tip I have is to roast the slices of tomatoes for about 5-10 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees F. before adding them to the flatbread. I slice the tomatoes thin and sprinkle them with a touch of dried oregano since I love how it enhances the flavor of the tomatoes. When they’re done roasting, I add all the ingredients to the flatbread and hit the grill.
Simple recipes are always welcome in my book, and with the Saveur news, I’ve been very giddy and pretty distracted. So, the simpler the better! I still can’t believe that I am a Finalist for Best Photography in the Saveur Food Blog Awards. It was an average Tuesday afternoon when the news came to me in an email. Completely surprised, I literally yelled, “Holy Shit!!!”(which is the same thing I happily yelled when Mike asked me to marry him).
I re-read the email several times to be SURE that I read it right and then proceeded to dance around the living room and share the amazing news with Mike and my family. Feels like a dream!
THANK YOU to all who nominated me. Being recognized at this level is so humbling and very exciting! Your support and encouragement are instrumental in all of this and I would love to get your vote in the Best Photography category! Congratulations to all of the finalists! I’m so grateful to be a part of this with you!
CILANTRO BASIL PESTO FLATBREAD
For the Pesto:
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 1½ cups fresh cilantro (save some sprigs for garnish)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
For the Flatbread:
- Pre-made pizza dough rolled out
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh mozzarella
- Olive oil
- Dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
For the Pesto:
- Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix until desired consistency.
- Serve with pasta, meats or pizza.
For the Flatbread:
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place sliced tomatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes for about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven.
- Lightly brush the rolled flatbread dough with olive oil.
- Pierce the dough with a fork to prevent dough bubbles from forming in the oven.
- Place the dough on a medium-hot grill or on a baking sheet in the 425 degree oven.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush generously with pesto.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.
- Continue to heat for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before slicing.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.
Disclosure: This post was in collaboration with Vitamix. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep me cooking and shooting!