We all have our favorite foods. What are some of yours? One of mine happens to be pizza. Unfortunately, this isn’t at the top of the “healthy eating” list. But, I believe the best way to enjoy the foods you love is to make them yourself. This Cilantro Pesto Pizza with Shrimp is a favorite of ours and I’d say it’s definitely healthy-ish.
This pizza has two of my all-time favorite ingredients: shrimp and cilantro. The sauce is simply brushing the crust with extra-virgin olive oil and a few tablespoons of homemade cilantro pesto. I also added some buffalo mozzarella, but in moderation. This is a pizza, after all.
If all this pizza talk is just sounding too unhealthy right now, you should check out my Super Green Smoothie that I try to make every morning post-workout. Don’t worry, no cheese involved… just lots of nutrient-rich greens with some juicy pineapple to make it more than bearable.
CILANTRO PESTO PIZZA WITH SHRIMP
For the Cilantro-Pesto:
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Pizza:
- 1 pound pre-made pizza dough (you will only use about half)
- Buffalo mozzarella (4-5 small balls torn up or more, if desired)
- 8-10 medium or large uncooked shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll about 1/2 of the dough on a lightly floured surface. If you don’t have a rolling pin (like me), use a chilled wine bottle to help roll the dough flat.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and place on a baking sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes or until crust starts to get lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the Cilantro-Pesto ingredients and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brush the shrimp with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté in a pan over medium heat until cooked through (they will be opaque).
- Spread a few tablespoons of the cilantro pesto over the pizza and top with buffalo mozzarella, cooked shrimp and cilantro sprigs.
- Place in the oven until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes (keep an eye on it).
- Serve hot.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.