Mike made some Grilled Tomatoes with Summer Squash the other night. It was raining outside and the light was gorgeous, so I decided to use my newest lens to do a shoot with them before we ate.
As I continue to grow into my photography, I have discovered my love for lenses. But, oh my god… they are expensive! However, I recently stumbled upon borrowlenses.com. It’s wonderful, because you can rent lenses to test and find the ones you want to save up for… definitely check them out!
The recipe is super simple, but the flavors are far from simple. It pairs so well with the meat of your choice and just might become one of those sides that you keep coming back to.
You’ll want to combine olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and mix the cherry tomatoes and sliced summer squash before adding them to a medium-high heat grill. Grill for about 5 minutes or until they appear to have some char marks and are softened and cooked through. Done!
As Barefoot Contessa would say, How easy is that?
GRILLED TOMATOES WITH SUMMER SQUASH
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds medium or small summer squash or zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ripe cherry tomatoes, whole or cut in half
- Freshly ground pepper
- Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- Turn the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, add olive oil and garlic and mix the tomatoes and summer squash together.
- Place tomatoes and summer squash on the grill and turn to roast on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve hot, or allow to cool and serve at room temperature
All images © Regan Baroni 2014.