My sister (Robin) was in town a couple weekends ago and she ordered Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Caramelized Blueberries at brunch. She reluctantly offered me a bite and I immediately knew I wanted to make them for myself at home.
I’ve tried to shoot pancakes twice before and both shoots were unsuccessful. So, I wanted to try again and I really wanted to get it right for the blog because this recipes is SOOOO good and I know you’re going to love it.
I found the original recipe on Food & Wine and made a couple adjustments of my own.
I used whole wheat flour instead of regular flour and blueberries instead of apples. Mike loves blueberries, so I did that for him. I also used almond milk in place of whole milk and they still tasted fluffy and delicious. I also added extra lemon zest so the lemony flavor could hold strong against the caramelized blueberries. The flavors really shine in this recipe.
What’s your favorite way to eat pancakes?
LEMON RICOTTA PANCAKES WITH CARAMELIZED BLUEBERRIES
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add blueberries, cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest and a pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour and baking powder with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk with the egg yolks, ricotta and the remaining 3/4 tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to create the batter.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter.
- Preheat a pan and grease with butter.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan.
- Cook over moderately high heat until bubbles appear around the edges, 1-2 minutes.
- Flip and cook until the pancakes are golden brown and transfer to plates.
- Drizzle with caramelized blueberries and maple syrup.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2014.