Let’s start the week with dessert, shall we? I recently picked up a bunch of beautiful peaches and decided to make a Peach Pie with Lemon and Thyme.
Peaches in Autumn
Although people may consider peaches to be a summer fruit, I can confidently say that they are delicious well into the fall. I read that you shouldn’t even look at a peach before July and they typically are in season through October. Keep this in mind when you’re exploring your summer farmers market.
Fresh Fruits and Fall Herbs
This recipe combines peaches with fresh thyme. It adds a nice, subtle dry aroma with a slightly minty flavor. I love combining fresh fruits and fall herbs because the flavor combination is a perfect marriage. You might also want to check out my Pear and Blackberry Galette with Rosemary and my Country Apple Galette with lemon and honey.
My favorite part about this pie recipe is how easy it is to make. Since you can let the oven do most of the work, sit back and enjoy the smells as they fill the room. The anticipation of how delicious it’s going to be when it’s done is pretty exciting.
What’s your favorite pie recipe?
PEACH PIE WITH LEMON AND THYME
- 4-5 large peaches, pitted, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 box pre-made pie crust (2 per box)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out one roll of the pie crust and line the bottom of a deep pie dish. Refrigerate.
- Toss peaches with sugar, lemon zest and juice, thyme and flour.
- Transfer into the pie pan on top of the bottom crust.
- Roll out the other half of the pie crust.
- Make the top pie crust of your choice. I made a lattice crust.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place a baking sheet on a lower rack beneath the pie pan to catch any juices that might boil over. Note: If you skip this step and the juice boils over, you will have to clean your oven to avoid filling your kitchen with smoke.
- Bake for 50 minutes to an hour or until the crust is golden and the juices are bubbling.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.