Today is my Mom’s birthday (Happy Birthday Mom!) and in celebration I’m sharing one of her classic soup recipes with you. This Potato Kale Soup with Lemon and Feta just might become your new favorite.
The Ingredients and Prep
This recipe combines potato, kale and lemon with additional flavors of oregano and a pinch (or handful in my case) of crumbled feta cheese and rock cabbage microgreens. I picked up the microgreens from American Pride MicroFarm. They add a crisp, clean cabbage flavor that’s really nice and subtle. The soup comes together in under 30 minutes and makes a nice big batch to have on hand throughout the week.
It’s comforting, but is also a very healthy soup with the addition of kale. You can read more about the health benefits of kale here.
You should also check out my Butternut Squash with Amaranth.
POTATO KALE SOUP WITH LEMON AND FETA
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, chopped (4 cups)
- 2 cups coarsely chopped kale or spinach
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (If using dry oregano, reduce amount to 1/4 teaspoon)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Rock cabbage microgreens for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until tender. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Stir in broth and potatoes.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in kale/spinach and oregano.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until kale has wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and remaining olive oil.
- Add zest a little at a time, to taste.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with feta cheese and additional lemon zest, if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2016.