I’ve been really into quail eggs lately. Do you cook with them? From my Mini Breakfast Sandwiches to this delicious Quail Eggs and Chickpeas, my breakfasts have never looked so darn good.
American Pride MicroFarm
I get my quail eggs from American Pride MicroFarm. They’re one of my go-to stands at the summer farmers market. Luckily, in the winter months, they swing through town every Saturday to see if we need anything. It’s such a nice perk because quail eggs are harder to find in my regular market.
This recipe requires 1 can of chickpeas, as much pico de gallo as your taste buds desire and a couple of sunny side up quail eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste with sprigs of cilantro for garnish. So good and so simple! I’d say you’ve got yourself a delicious breakfast recipe that will put your busy life on pause for a minute.
QUAIL EGGS WITH CHICKPEAS
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 small container of pico de gallo
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Quail eggs (2 per serving)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Add chickpeas to the skillet.
- Stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of pico de gallo (or add as much or as little as you’d like).
- Add chopped cilantro and stir together with chickpeas and pico de gallo for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep warm.
- In a separate skillet, add two quail eggs.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes for more runny yolks or 1-2 minutes longer for less runny yolks.
- Spoon the chickpeas and pico de gallo mix onto a plate.
- Top with quail eggs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
All Images © Regan Baroni 2016.