Tacos. Does it get any better? No matter what the ingredients are, you can add or take away whatever you want to make it your own. Tacos are all about you. This recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos with Avocado Lime Crema takes a vegetarian twist on the usual chicken, beef or pork variations and the avocado lime “crema” is totally dairy-free.
I’m not a “vegetarian” at heart, but I really enjoy vegetarian-inspired recipes. There are unique flavor discoveries through different seasonings and ingredients which make every recipe so delicious, you really don’t miss the meat.
I mixed the cubed sweet potatoes with chili powder, olive oil and a little salt and pepper before roasting them in a 400 degree F. oven for about 20 minutes. Sweet potatoes are so flavorful on their own, but the hint of chili powder gives them a subtle kick. The black beans were mixed with some of my Mom’s famous salsa. I’m not allowed to share that recipe, but if you want some salsa recipe inspiration, check out my last post Seven Seasonal Salsa Recipes.
I also included finely chopped scallions, thinly sliced jalapeño (highly recommended for extra spice), finely diced red onion, pico de gallo, fresh cilantro sprigs and lime wedges as extra garnishes. I didn’t use cheese this time, but if you’d like to add cheese, I recommend Cotija Cheese.
Avocado Lime Crema
The “crema” is the best part of the recipe. I used 1 carton of So Delicious Diary-Free Coconut Milk Yogurt and combined 1 large avocado, 1 clove of minced garlic and the juice of 1/2 of a lime. I blended everything up until it was velvety smooth and added salt and pepper to taste. Oh my god, it’s so good.
Food Styling Tip for Tacos
If I don’t have a taco holder on hand and I want the tacos to be folded up together without completely falling apart during the shoot, I use toothpicks to hold everything together. So simple, right?
If you try the recipe, be sure to let me know what you think. And, if you’re looking for another fun taco recipe, you should check out my Fish Tacos with Mango Cucumber Salsa.
It tastes like summer is just around the corner!
ROASTED SWEET POTATO TACOS WITH AVOCADO LIME CREMA
For the Tacos:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup of salsa of your choice
- Flour tortillas
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- Springs of cilantro
- Pico de Gallo (Get Recipe)
- Lime wedges
For the Avocado Lime Crema:
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, plain yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lime, add more to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the cubed sweet potatoes, chili powder, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix together well.
- Place the sweet potato cubes on a foil lined baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, until the cubes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- In a small pot, add the black beans and 1/2 cup of salsa of your choice and stir to combine over medium-low heat. Once slightly warmed, about 5-7 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small food processor, combine the avocado, dairy-free yogurt, minced garlic and lime juice and blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the tacos with the black beans, sweet potatoes and the garnishes of your choice.
- Top with the avocado lime crema.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
Like this recipe plugin? Get the Cookbook Plugin!
* This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click or make a purchase through my site, I might make a small commission (at no extra cost to you). I only promote products that I actually use and support.
All images ©Regan Baroni 2018.