One of my favorite things about the weather getting colder is the effortless comfort food. If the flavor combination is delicious and the recipe is easy to make, sign me up. This Chicken Tortellini Soup has everything I’m looking for.
It’s that perfect balance of cheesy tortellini and chunks of chicken with wilted spinach leaves and flavorful herbs all marinating in a savory broth. Grab a cozy blanket, turn on Netflix and you’ve got yourself a pretty perfect Friday night.
Cheers to that, right?
Note: You should also check out my Tortellini Soup with Turkey and Spinach
CHICKEN TORTELLINI SOUP
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 9 cups chicken broth + more if soup becomes too thick
- 1 package of tortellini
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Over medium heat, add the olive oil and chopped onions to a dutch oven.
- Sauté for 3 minutes to soften.
- Add the chopped bell pepper, carrots, and garlic. Sauté another 3 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs, chicken broth, fresh thyme, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to the pot.
- Lower the heat and simmer 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board.
- Turn the heat back to medium.
- While the broth is simmering, stir in the tortellini. Stir well so it doesn’t stick together.
- Shred the chicken and place back in the soup.
- Once the tortellini is cooked through, about 6-8 minutes, turn off the heat.
- Stir in 1/3 cup coconut milk, spinach, and parsley.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the leftovers, you may need to have extra broth on hand because the tortellini will absorb most of the broth overnight.
All images ©Regan Baroni 2017.