This recipe for Gingered Carrot Soup is one of my favorite recipes that my Mom gave me. I’ve actually been making this since before I had a food photography blog. I was posting my food photos on Facebook back then and if you’d like, you can see the old picture here. I decided to do a reshoot and share her recipe with you.
My favorite part about this soup (besides the taste) is that it’s completely dairy-free. It smells so comforting as it’s simmering on the stove too. And, with a brand new year ahead and a bunch of new ideas surrounding me, this soup is exactly what I need to slow down and take things one day at a time.
GINGERED CARROT SOUP
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut milk for garnish
- Optional: Red Rock Cabbage migrogreens for garnish
- Over medium heat, add olive oil in a dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add the sliced carrots, sliced onion and grated ginger, cover and cook over moderately high heat for about 8 minutes, stirring the vegetables occasionally, until just beginning to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock and nutmeg to the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook the soup over moderate heat until the carrots and onions are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Use a Vitamix or immersion blender and blend the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Lightly drizzle coconut milk and stir slightly into the soup.
- Serve in shallow bowls and garnish with microgreens, if desired.
All images © Regan Baroni 2017.