If you’re looking for a healthy soup that isn’t boring, you’re going to love this Zucchini Soup.
Inspired by Mom
The recipe is inspired by my mom who is known for her soups. Whenever Mike and I visit her in Minnesota, she always has a new soup waiting for us. I was skeptical when she said she had made zucchini soup. It sounds healthy, but I wondered if it would be bland.
The Secret Ingredient
This soup is far from bland. The secret ingredient is fresh ginger. It gives the soup an unexpected kick that will keep you coming back for more. And, it’s so velvety smooth and creamy, it’s hard to believe it’s dairy-free.
I like to drizzle this soup with olive oil and the Vudoo Seasoning by Spice Merchants. The key to getting the olive oil to look so pretty on top is to be sure the soup is hot and that you pour in a slow circular motion.
You should also check out my Super Green Smoothie.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 3 large zucchini, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Optional: Olive oil for garnish
- Optional: Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Optional: Voodoo Seasoning by Spice Merchants
- Sauté the olive oil, onion and garlic over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the pepper and the ginger and continue to stir.
- Add the zucchini and the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until zucchini is softened, 45 minutes or so.
- Using a Vitamix or immersion blender, puree the zucchini until the soup is creamy and smooth.
- Garnish with pepper, olive oil, cilantro or other seasonings of your choice.
Did you make this recipe?
Show me! Tag @reganbaroni on Instagram.
All images © Regan Baroni 2017.