I wanted to make a strawberry-rhubarb pie, but could not find rhubarb anywhere. After three unsuccessful market attempts, I decided to use granny smith apples instead.
The recipe was super easy to put together. I decided to cut out a lot of sugar, because the strawberries are naturally sweet on their own. The granny smith apples were a great choice as a replacement for rhubarb because they gave the pie a really nice balance of sweet and tart.
It was so delicious and there weren’t any leftovers. Recipe success!
STRAWBERRY APPLE PIE
- 2-1/2 cups peeled & thinly sliced granny smith apples
- 2-1/2 cups larger cut strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 of one lemon, juice
- 1 egg white beaten
- 2 rolls of pre-made pie crust
- Wheaties or other flaky cereal
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place one of the pre-made pie crusts into the pie pan.
- Sprinkle Wheaties to lightly cover the bottom of the crust. This helps prevent the bottom crust from becoming too soggy and no one will notice that they’re there.
- Mix all the ingredients (except the egg white) together in a bowl.
- Add the filling on top of the Wheaties.
- Place the other pie crust on top of the filling. I made a Lattice Crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Decrease oven temperature to 375 degrees and brush the crust with the egg white.
- Bake for an additional 35-40 minutes until filling is bubbly and the crust is golden.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes before serving to allow juices to set.
All images ©Regan Baroni 2014.